background

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fruit Tart

strawberry & kiwi fruit tart

For Christmas I wanted to make something different because I figured we'd have plenty of cookies and pies. I decided to make a fruit tart with strawberries and kiwi for the festive red and green colors...just wish the strawberries were more red. It's tough this time of year.

I used Martha Stewart's strawberry tart recipe but added chocolate ganache as a bottom layer before adding the cream cheese filling.  I've used this recipe before and I just love it.  The crust is lovely, buttery, and shortbread like.  I thought the chocolate would add another little something special, because who doesn't love chocolate.  But, as it turned out, the chocolate ganache ended up taking over the cream cheese and fruit flavors.  I think I made the mistake of using dark chocolate and maybe using too much ganache. Next time I'll try using semi-sweet chocolate and just a thin layer of the ganache.  Overall though, everyone seemed to enjoy it. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Looks great and tasted awesome! Kiwi Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a chance to try this but I'm sure it was yummy :)

    ReplyDelete